As a seasoned expert in acquiring distressed properties, Bruce shares valuable insights on vertical integration, market dynamics, and the importance of a macro thesis in investment. Whether you're new to commercial real estate or a seasoned professional, Bruce's expertise provides clarity on navigating the current landscape and capitalizing on emerging opportunities.
- The Power of Vertical Integration: Bruce elaborates on the pros and cons of vertically integrating your portfolio, focusing on the value of in-house property management. He also shares challenges faced with third-party property management and the importance of a dedicated operational team.
- Understanding Current Market Distress: The implications of rapid interest rate changes on property refinancing and how many operators find themselves in precarious positions. Bruce shares real-time examples of distress emerging from factors like floating rate debts, maturing loans, and expiring rate caps.
- Investment Philosophy & Approaches: The value of disciplined, numbers-driven decision-making in real estate investment. Bruce emphasizes the importance of taking that first step in real estate, the "law of the first deal," and having a clear, long-term macro thesis to guide investment decisions.
Bruce Fraser | Real Estate Background
- Managing Partner Elkhorn Capital Partners, real estate private equity firm that focuses on distressed property situations
- 2,000 multifamily units
- Based in: Dallas, TX
- Say hi to him at:
- Best Ever Book: Creature From Jekyll Island by G. Edward Griffin
- Greatest Lesson: Just buy something. Anything. Most people don’t even make that move. Even if it’s your worst deal, you will learn so much from it, and you’ll be on your way to the future.
Click here to learn more about our sponsors: